2018 was not quite a mulligan so I guess, relatively speaking, great success!! On to 2019~
I don't quite recall, but I think at this time last year, I was grumpy about not having accomplished much over the year that was wrapping up. I started listing out the numerable things I'd done, like trips, media consumed, one-offs, etc. The list is a bit shameful, but it gives me a good starting point to adjust for next year.
- MotoGP Austin was great. A bit of a boring race since MM93 is unbeatable, but still cool to see.
- Went to the first family wedding for my cousin, Jimmy. If anybody else is planning a wedding, take note: midnight. taco. bar.
- Rural upstate NY is an interesting change of pace
- Lucas Oil Stadium is really neat. I'm sure it's not even the biggest building I've been in, but the structure itself feels immense and is pretty cool to experience.
14 theater movies
- Incredibles 2
- Crazy Rich Asians
Shitty movies that should've been named...
- Star Wars anything, aka "Cash Grab, the franchise"
- Jurassic World 2, aka "Fuck you, idiots" the movie
- Venom, aka "Remember Gak? As seen on Nickelodeon in the 90s? It's fighting."
100 streaming movies, ~15 seasons of streaming TV
This is definitely the most shameful waste of my 2018, but in my defense, there are two caveats. First, most of these are just things I have on in the background for noise while I do something else like budgeting or planning trips or whatever. That's why I mostly watch HORRIBLE things; so I don't miss anything if I'm not paying attention. Second, Turkey has started crawling into the beanbag to cuddle with me so while I'm trapped under my fluffy boulder, I might as well entertain myself. Some general findings:
- Netflix original movies are decent for the first 85 minutes and then they run out of plot and hire the world's most impatient writer to finish it off in 10 minutes. Aliens attacking? They just kinda leave. Robot turns on its captors? Power goes out. Gangsters having turf war? They drink tea and stop fighting.
- Train to Busan is a great movie, but if subtitles isn't your thing, I hear there's a white-washed remake in the works.
- I can't tell the difference between Amy Smart and Emily Blunt
- John Goodman is the
jolliest creepiest jolliest creepiest... he's got good range.
- Nicholas Cage is in some of the shittiest movies ever made.
- King of the Hill is much funnier now that I'm old enough to understand why it's funny.
~7 video games
I actually spent a lot more time playing old multiplayer games from the past, so these 7 only count new things and stuff from my Steam backlog. Full disclosure: I'm counting it if I completed at least 85% or played 10+ hours. I actually fully beat 0.
Definitely trying to shift from tv/videogames to books for 2019. Starting a book club to do at least one a month. January is Becoming, by MObama, if anybody wants to join in. Open to suggestions for subsequent months too.
YA fiction, like Ready Player One, isn't really my thing. Adult fiction, like Good Omens, is.
Miscellaneous notable stuff
- My Kevin Bacon number is now 1. Yours is now 2. Chew on that for a little bit.
- Turkey earned $100 for being Arlington pet of the week. I'm such a proud cat dad.
- Went to my first EDM festival. So many butts.
- Corgi march DC = happiest place on earf
- Caps winning the Stanley Cup, and the subsequent celebration, is a really interesting experience to have. Not being old enough to appreciate the last DC team to win a championship (I think Redskins, '92 and '88?), it was neat to see the city so excited. Might've been the polar opposite of election day 2016.
- I <3 radio dramas! Maybe that makes me a dork, but whatever dude. We're Alive is a pretty good one, and so is Wolverine: The Long Night.
I ain't 'fraid o' no ghosts. However they are funking e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. Let's just leave it at that.